The Librarian’s Nitty-Gritty Guide to Social Media
The vast array of social media options present a challenge to today’s busy librarians: it’s tough to keep current, let alone formulate a plan for using these tools effectively. Solomon, a librarian with extensive experience in web development, design, and technology, cuts to the chase with this invaluable guide to using social media in any kind of library. With a straightforward and pragmatic approach, she enlarges her best-selling ALA Editions Special Report on the topic and
- Presents an overview of the social media world, providing context for services like Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube, and analyzes how adults’ and teens’ use of social media impacts the library
- Offers advice on easy ways to use these tools on a daily basis, with planning strategies for posting and scheduling
- Addresses the fine points of Facebook, comparing the various types of profiles and accounts
- Guides readers in the basics of crafting eye-catching status updates, and other social media best practices
- Shows how to manage and monitor accounts, including pointers on dealing with negative feedback
Including a bibliography of additional resources, Solomon’s guide will empower libraries to use social media as a powerful tool for marketing, outreach, and advocacy.
Doing Social Media So It Matters: A Librarians Guide
Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, LinkedIn: it’s difficult enough to keep abreast of social media Web sites, let alone understand how they fit into today’s library. This practical resource brings together current information on the topic in a concise format that’s easy to digest. Laura Solomon is a librarian with more than a decade of experience in Web development, design, and technology, and her timely guide
- Provides context on the social media phenomenon
- Offers practical advice on how libraries can choose, use, and monitor these tools effectively
- Identifies additional resources and best practices
Solomon has written a unique, to-the-point guidebook for those ready to jump into the deep end of the pool and commence or improve their library’s tweeting, posting, and friending.
Table of Contents
1 Getting a (Better) Grip on Social Media
2 Getting Started
3 Understanding Social Media
4 Strategies for Social Media Success
5 What Can We Count?
6 Is It Worth It?
7 A Few Final Words